(Schwerin) - On Friday, 30th July 2021, student Iris Groneick from the Communication Design and Media diploma course at the Faculty of Architecture and Design at Hochschule Wismar, University of Applied Sciences was awarded 1st place with prize money of 2,500 euros for her work "Typisch Deutsch. Typisch Russisch." (Typical German. Typical Russian) in the cartoon competition of the German-Russian Patnership Schwerin e.V. on the theme of "Together". The award ceremony took place in the Schwerin office of the German-Russian Partnership e.V. in compliance with the hygiene regulations in presence. The prize was presented by Erwin Sellering, Minister President of Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania from 2008 to 2017, and Dr Uwe Neumann, Director of the Kunsthalle Rostock. The five-member jury of the competition, made up of representatives from the fields of art, business and politics, had pre-selected 19 works from over 25 submissions and presented them in an analogue as well as digital exhibition from May 2021 in the Kulturforum Schleswig-Holstein-Haus in Schwerin. The three competition winners and the audience award were selected from these. To the digital exhibition "
Despite cultural differences, all equal
In the winter semester 2020/21, Iris Groneick, in the 6th semester, had written on the topic "Here and Now! Illustrations for Newspapers and Magazines" with substitute professor Sophia Martineck, designed an illustration in the format 297 x 420 mm for the cartoon competition of the Deutsch-Russische-Patnerschaft Schwerin e.V. and subsequently submitted it. The digital illustration contrasts the two different cultures in light line drawings. For example, the typical Russian dumpling pelmeni is juxtaposed with the typical German pretzel. "With this illustration, I wanted to visualise the message that despite our cultural differences, we are all the same," says the student.
- Ms Susanne Bowen, State Secretary in the Ministry of Education, Science and Culture M-V
- Mr Mario Kokowsky, Managing Director of DEN GmbH in Greifswald
- Dr. Uwe Neumann, Director of the Kunsthalle Rostock
- Ms Antje Schunke, Director of the Schleswig-Holstein-Haus Cultural Forum
- Ms Miro Zahra, artist and curator for Plüschow Castle
Prize money, total 5,000 euros
- 1st prize: 2,500 euros went to Iris Groneick
- 2nd prize: 1,500 euros went to Kolja Hohberg
- 3rd prize: 1,000 euros went to Lena-Sophie Gäbler
- Audience Award: went to Lena-Sophie Gäbler